Nissan wants to appoint a successor to Ghosn as chairman within two months, according to a source.
TOKYO – Former Nissan president Carlos Ghosn has refused allegations of financial misconduct, said the Japanese public broadcaster NHK on Sunday.
Ghosn, who was arrested last Monday, told the investigators that he was not going to underestimate his compensation for financial documents and denied accusations against him, NHK said, without giving any sources or further details.
American board member Greg Kelly, who was arrested with Ghosn, was Saturday quoted by NHK as the defender of Ghosn's compensation, saying that it had been discussed with other officials and paid out in an appropriate manner.
Japanese prosecutors say Ghosn and Kelly conspired to underestimate Ghosn's pay by about half of the 10 billion yen ($ 88 million) he earned for five years at Nissan in 2010. The company has also mentioned other, multiple infringements.
Ghosn and Kelly were driven by the automaker on Thursday. Renault, Nissan's alliance partner, did not stop him at his chairman and interim leader, but named Thierry Bollore, chief operating officer, as interim deputy CEO with the same authority as Ghosn at the French car manufacturer.
Nissan aims to appoint a new chairman within a month or two, hopefully before the next board meeting scheduled for December 20, and a source familiar with the matter said.